OCI Cardholders stopped at Airport
As OCI holders continue to be stopped at Australian airports, unable to board flights they were booked for. Tripmia advises that OCI Card holders travelling to India are required to carry their Passport containing the U Visa sticker as well as the OCI Card, in order to avoid problems at Immigration check points in India.
In case a registered OCI has obtained a new passport, it is important to carry the old passport containing the U Visa sticker, the new passport and the OCI document, during all visits to India.
“There have been no changes in the existing OCI rules or regulations in recent times, current rules are
Up to the age of 20 years
- OCI card holder needs to get his/her OCI card REISSUED each time when his /her passport is reissued.
Between age of 21 and 50 years
- reissue of OCI card is not mandatory when passport is reissued but he/she has to carry old passport on which OCI card was issues along with the current passport.
After completion of 50 years of age
- the OCI card is required to be reissued only once on renew of passport. It is also advised that while travelling one must always carry the expired passport (Which is endorsed on the valid OCI card) along with the OCI card and the current passport.
High Commission of India Canberra ****
Advisory on Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card
- Overseas Citizen of India card is required to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to the age of 20 years;
- Re-issuance of the OCI card is not mandatory each time a new passport is issued between 21 and 50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to obtain new set of OCI documents, he/she can apply for the same;
- OCI card is required to be re-issued only once on renewal of passport after completing 50 years of age.
- If the OCI card is issued at the age of 50 years or later, there is no need for renewal of the OCI Card.
Applicants may also refer to the following links (including FAQs) for any other clarification on the matter:
OCI Related Matters, Ministry of External Affairs
OCI Miscellaneous services guidelines
VFS Global portal for OCI services https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/australia/oci_pio_service/OCI_miscellaneous_service.html
Advisory issued by Indian High Commission Canberra, about OCI card issues https://www.hcicanberra.gov.in/docs/1571709840Advisory_on_OCI%20Card.pdf